AIA Maryland Excellence in Design Awards 2017
Please read the instructions below and review the complete Call for Entries then click here to enter a project.
Your design entry must be prepared and formatted as described below for submission through the digital portal.
After creating an entry application, you may begin working on your forms and uploading the required files. You can save your work as you go and return to the site as often as needed but not after finalizing and submitting the submission. All submission materials and entry fee payments must be completed and submitted by the submission deadline. Once an entry is completed for a particular project, that entire project submission may then be submitted to another chapter awards program without any re-entry or uploading. Simply check the box "I Want to Submit This Submission to Another Category" when you are ready to finalize your submission on the last page of the submission forms. All Maryland AIA chapter awards programs are open for submissions.
- Friday, June 23, 2017: Submission Forms, Material Uploads and Entry Fees are due by 11:59pm EDT. Entry fee payments may be made by credit card in the submission portal when the project is ready for final submission. Check payments, payable to AIA Maryland, must be received at the AIA Maryland office by Friday, June 23rd.
- July, 2017: Online Jury Review by AIA Oregon
- August 2017: Live Jury Review by AIA Oregon
- September 28, 2017: Design Awards Celebration at Greencourt Innovation Center in Rockville, MD.
- AIAMD Members: $125 per project entry
- Other AIA Members: $225 per project entry
Registration fees are non-refundable.
To complete your submission, you must:
- Complete the SUBMISSION FORM in the awards submission portal by Friday, June 23, 11:59 pm EDT
- Upload the PROJECT PDF, PRESENTATION PDF and IMAGE FILES to the submission portal and finalize by Friday, June 23, 11:59 pm EDT
- Make full payment of ENTRY FEES within submission portal (once project is finalized) or by mail to be received by Friday, June 23, 11:59 pm EDT
View the Gallery of all project submissions to the 2016 Design Awards competition for project examples
Watch this uncut 2015 Jury video on YouTube for valuable tips on preparing a submission. (26:53 min)
See also Tips for Creating Strong Awards Entries on the submission portal landing page.
Please complete all requested information in the portal. Required fields are marked with an asterisk. Please be sure the information appears EXACTLY as you wish to see it published and listed on the awards certificates. Check the spelling of names carefully. You may save your work and return to the submission site as often as needed as long as you complete and submit all parts of the project submission, along with payment of entry fees, by the due date.
Please direct questions to AIA Maryland, at email@example.com, or 410.263.0916.
Participation is open to AIA Maryland members who are licensed in the state of Maryland for projects located worldwide and, to AIA members from other states who are licensed in Maryland for projects located in Maryland. All entrants must be AIA members in good standing as of June 1, 2017.
The intent of the policy is to recognize architectural design excellence in Maryland by AIA member architects regardless of the location of the architect’s office. There is no limit to the number of projects that may be entered by a firm and all materials included in submissions must be cleared for public reproduction. The eligible member submitting the project must be a principal member of the design team responsible for the project or, a principal of the firm that is responsible for the project. Entries must be submitted by the Firm of Record or the Architect of Record.
Judging Criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- DESIGN RESOLUTION: Does the project demonstrate skill and sensitivity to formal, functional and technical requirements?
- SUSTAINABLE DESIGN: Does the project make intelligent use of available resources?
- OVERALL DESIGN EXCELLENCE: Quality of the built form relative to its program, needs, challenges, and setting. Clarity of the partii. Does it further our understanding of design via new approaches?
- Public Building of the Year
- Public Building of the Year
- Institutional Architecture
- Commercial Architecture
- Residential Architecture
- Interior Architecture
- Mixed Use Development
- Urban Design & Master Planning
- Unbuilt Architecture
Click here to enter a project to the 2017 AIA Maryland Excellence in Design Awards!