AIA Maryland - STUDENT DESIGN AWARDS 2017
Please read the instructions below and then click here to enter a project to the 2017 AIA Maryland Student Design Awards!
The purpose of the Student Design Awards Program is to promote architecture in the State of Maryland and to build a relationship between AIA Maryland and the academic community. This program is part of AIA Maryland’s annual design awards program.
REGISTRATION AND SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
After creating an entry application, you may begin working on your forms and uploading the required files. Please complete all requested information. Required fields are marked with an asterisk. Please be sure the information appears EXACTLY as you wish to see it published and listed on the awards certificates. Check the spelling of names and proofread carefully before submitting. You may save your work and return to the submission site as often as needed but not after you finalize and submit the entry. All parts of the project submission must be completed by the due date - Friday, June 2, 2017, 11:59pm EDT.
- Friday, June 2, 2017: Submission Forms, Material Uploads are due by 11:59pm EDT.
- Friday, June 9, 2017: Faculty Sponsor letters are due by 11:59pm, EDT.
- June/July, 2017: Online Jury Review by AIA Oregon
- August, 2017: Live Jury Review by AIA Oregon
- September 28, 2017: Design Awards Celebration 5:30–9:30pm at Greencourt Innovation Center in Rockville, MD.
Student submissions will be judged by the same jury who will judge the professional submissions for the AIA Maryland Excellence in Design Awards. All entries will be judged individually for their design excellence and for the success with which the project has met its individual requirements. Community College, Graduate and Undergraduate submissions will be judged separately. Judging Criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
- DESIGN RESOLUTION: Does the project demonstrate skill and sensitivity to formal, functional and technical requirements?
- SUSTAINABLE DESIGN: Does the project make intelligent use of available resources?
- OVERALL DESIGN EXCELLENCE: Quality of the built form relative to its program, needs, challenges, and setting. Clarity of the partii. Does it further our understanding of design via new approaches?
- Community College Students − Hand Delineation / Design Project
- Undergraduate − Beginning Design / Upper Level Design
- Graduates − Beginning Design / Upper Level Design
A complete submission for each project includes the following:
- Completion of the online SUBMISSION FORM
- PROJECT/JURY PDF (10MB, 16 pages max) (Judged)
- PRESENTATION PDF (6MB, 3 pages max)
- IMAGE FILES (5-7 digital images w/captions and credits)
Submit to AIABaltimore FAR Scholarship Awards
Eligible students who meet the following criteria may also submit their project to the AIABaltimore Future Architects Resources (FAR) Scholarship Awards:
- The scholarship program is open to students entering/beginning the final year of their architectural studies program (undergraduate/graduate school/community college) in Maryland.
- The scholarship program is open to Community college graduates enrolled in an undergraduate architecture program.
After submitting your project to the AIA Maryland Student Design Awards in the awards portal, simply check the box “I Want to Submit This Submission to Another Category” when you are ready to SAVE & FINALIZE your submission.
Community College submissions for AIA Chesapeake Bay
Students enrolled in a Community College Architecture program within the Chesapeake Bay Chapter area may now also submit projects at the same time as your AIA Maryland Student Design submission by checking the box “I Want to Submit This Submission to Another Category” when you are ready to SAVE & FINALIZE your submission.
Important Reminders and Tips:
- Watch the uncut 2015 Jury video on YouTube offering valuable tips and advice. (26:53 min)
- Do not include student, faculty, or academic program names in your Project PDF.
- Avoid saturated background colors.
- Use a hierarchy of image sizes to tell a compelling story.
- Avoid using the LEED checklist in the submission.
Please direct questions to AIA Maryland, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 410.263.0916.
Click here to enter a project to the 2017 AIA Maryland Student Design Awards!