Login to Complete _an Application_ or to Access Judging Panel
2021 AIA POTOMAC VALLEY STUDENT DESIGN AWARDS COMPETITION
CALL FOR ENTRIES
DEADLINE: WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2021 10:00 PM ET
Please read the instructions below and then click here to enter a project to the 2021 AIA Potomac Valley Student Design Awards Competition.
The purpose of the AIA Potomac Valley (AIAPV) Emerging Professional Student Design Awards Program is to recognize excellence in student architectural design, promote architecture in the Chapter’s region, to build a relationship between AIAPV and the local community college and university undergraduate architecture programs, and award scholarship prizes to the competition winners.
- Wednesday, September 22, 2021: Submission Forms and Material Uploads are due by 10:00PM ET
- September – October: Jury Review
- Thursday, October 21, 2021: Winners will be announced and celebrated at the annual AIAPV Excellence in Design Awards Celebration
- Students enrolled in an undergraduate architecture degree program from Montgomery Community College or University of Maryland, College Park.
- Work has not been submitted to other competitions or plagiarized.
- The student must be the sole author of the work.
- Designs completed in a professional office are not eligible.
- Participation is open to all eligible students at no charge.
AWARDS AND SUBMISSION CATEGORIES
There are two submission categories:
- Montgomery Community College, Undergraduate
- University of Maryland College Park, Undergraduate
Student submissions will be judged by members of AIAPV's Emerging Professionals Subcommittee. The jury will consider the following: Projects will be judged holistically on their overall creativity, efficiency, flexibility, and aesthetic.
First Prize: $1,250 scholarship
Second Prize: $1,000 scholarship
Third Prize: $750 scholarship
Honorable Mention: Recipients will be announced and listed on AIAPV’s website
WINNING ENTRIES AND PUBLICITY
All entrants agree to release for publication all drawings, photographs, and digital images included in the submission. AIA Potomac Valley will promote the winning projects on the AIAPV website, Design Awards Gallery website, and in social media posts.
DESIGN AWARDS CELEBRATION
The Annual AIA Potomac Valley Excellence in Design Awards Celebration is scheduled for Thursday, October 21, 2021. Please check the AIAPV website in the coming weeks for additional information and to register for the Celebration.
To complete your submission, you must do the following by Wednesday, September 22 2021, 10:00 PM ET:
1. Complete and finalize the SUBMISSION FORM in the awards submission portal
Your design entry must be prepared and formatted as described in the SUBMISSION GUIDELINES through the online submission portal. You will automatically establish an account when you create an entry application for the first time. You may save your work as you go and return to the site as often as needed, but you must complete, finalize and submit your entry by the submission deadline. NOTE: You may receive a pop-up warning that states: "Warning: Changing this field will clear fields that data has been provided for. Do you wish to proceed?" You can ignore this box and safely hit "OK" and continue.
2. Upload the SINGLE DESIGN PANEL to the submission portal and finalize your submission
Please complete all requested information in the portal. Required fields are marked with an asterisk. Please be sure the information appears EXACTLY as you wish to see it published and listed on the awards certificates and across all media. Check the spelling of names carefully. You may save your work and return to the submission site as often as needed as long as you complete and submit all parts of the project submission by the due date.
All questions must be asked prior to September 17, 2021.
For questions, please reach out via email to email@example.com
Students may click HERE to download the AIAPV Competition Site 2021_LEAFHouse Site.dwg file.
A complete submission for each project includes the following:
- Completion of the online Submission Form
- A single digital file of a single design panel sized 24”x36” in portrait orientation
- File format & size: *.pdf, *.jpg / must be maximum 10MB total
- Utilize sketches, renderings, plans, sections, elevations, diagrams, and/or other
- presentation tools to explain your proposal on the design panel
- Official language is English.
- Design panels must not indicate any information related to an individual's/team's identity.
- The title should be included on the bottom right corner.
- Project description of no more than 300 words included on the Submission Form.
Orthographic drawings (all scales listed are suggested)
- Elevations (¼”=1’-0”)
- Sections ( ¼”=1’-0”)
- Floor plans (¼”=1’-0”)
- Enlarged sections and elevations highlighting key spaces or relationships (½” =1’-0”)
- Primary interior spaces
- Primary site locations
- Axonometrics providing information on building systems or
o illustrating key architectural concepts
- Details (suggested scale 1/2”=1’-0”):
o Key materials
o Site or landscape
o Circulation (ADA accessible)
o Public versus private space
o Energy systems